29 September 2007

...When It Drizzles...

They said it wouldn't last, and it didn't. Arrived in Vancouver yesterday in the glaring sun and 70 degree temperatures. Today, it was back to the rain (always back to the rain), and 55 degrees cool. Still, I've fallen hard for this city, and the cineastes who dwell here.

Kicked off my arrival yesterday with a ride in from the airport from a driver who is...drumroll...a Vancouver-based documentary filmmaker, who of all things, is off to Sweden shortly to start shooting a cooking show. Little does he know that 20 years ago, yours truly herself fancied
making her own cooking show when she was sailing across the Mediterranean with a gaggle (flock?) of Swedes, trying to invent new ways to cook pasta in a galley kitchen. My Swedish trajectory continued (as it always does) at a fancy party thrown by Telefilm Canada. Thanks to a local filmmaker I met at a late-nite party in Halifax, I was introduced to some wonderful fellow documentarians, including two Swedes who were surprised at my status as the 8,000,0001st person who speaks Swedish. Well, one of them has a brother who is a Swedish Buddhist living in Stockholm (I already said 'yes', he just hasn't asked yet!)

But that's not why you called. The greatest news of the last 24 hours is that we had a sell-out show this morning at 10:30 am, which was a huge surprise to all. I had been gently warned not to expect much on the morning of the festival gear-up weekend following a rolicking late-night party. But the place was packed for the screening. And again, it was followed an insightful, politics-free discussion of the film and the incredible women who occupy it. Canada, where have you been all my life? You get it. Can't wait until Thursday so we can do it all again.

Oh, and I suppose you're wondering who that is swimming around in the photo. That's Jennifer, my roommate here at the Pacific Palisades Hotel. She hangs out next to my complimentary yoga 'kit'. She joined me this afternoon on my way back from the screening after I found the *perfect* laptop bag I've been seeking for the last 6 months...it's vegan 'leather'. Did I mention I love Vancouver?


No comments: